Monday, April 26, 2010

LA/SS/Tech course reflections

Class reflection for LA/SS/Tech course assignments and activities:



The creating of a lesson plan for this course really was an eye-opener for me. First of all, as is probably the case with many teachers, I really had to start thinking about using technology in a meaningful way. Mary and Stacy pointed out in class that educators often use technology as the focus of a lesson, and in examining my first draft of my lesson, I realized that I had not clarified for myself what the technological goals of my lesson were.

Originally I started with a Powerpoint presentation. I had it pointed out to me, though, that this wasn’t really a Web 2.0 tool, and I have noted, since I created the lesson, that many of my students are already so familiar with Powerpoint that I don’t think that they would be learning much from creating one for this class anyway. I had to stop and really reconsider what tool I wanted to use.

I opted to go with I-Movie. There are several things I like about using I-Movie for this presentation. The focus of my lesson was to have students analyze the imagery and figurative language in sonnets. I wanted them to look at how Shakespeare created images through the language choice in his sonnets, what visual images the word choice created, and how the figurative language functioned. I also wanted the students to combine text and images (the visuals created by the poem) in a meaningful way, and one that could be presented visually. I originally selected slides, but I feel that I-Movie is a more sophisticated way to present this, and the film format will better represent the flow of poetry. Additionally, I wanted to include an oral recitation component, because I feel it is important for students to understand that poetry is meant to be read and spoken, and best understood when the oral aspect is appreciated. I felt that creating an I-Movie would allow students to practice and hone their oral presentation skills.

I am still not as totally defined on all aspects of my rubric as I would ideally like to be. I think that a “trial run” with the lesson would probably help me to further define some of the aspects that I would like to have more clarified, but I do believe that this could be accomplished as well with further time to consider (grading and mid-term grades did compete for my time a lot this week, I must admit!).

Additionally, I can see that a lesson like this will require that I further familiarize myself with I-Movie. I have done a few things with I-Movie, but not a whole lot, and if I am asking students to create an I-Movie, I need to be savvy enough to help them. I also need to learn about how to record vocals into I-Movie. I want the students to have the advantage of having their voices recorded into the I-Movie, rather than reading along with the presentation, as I have first intended. I realized that it is much easier for a student to analyze their own reading of a poem if it is recorded, and, as I want my students to be able to start developing the skill of analyzing their reading and recitation skills, having their reading recorded for the I-Movie will also accomplish this goal.



Some people had questions about the Native cultural emphasis of the lesson unit. I felt after reading people’s comments that I have not adequately presented/ explained this matter. The lesson template requested that we talk about the make-up of the course, and I included that the students were Alaska Native/ American Indian for the purpose of clarifying make-up (and the fact that some of my students do experience ESL-like challenges). I also mentioned that program that I work under does like Native cultural focus, where applicable. However, my employer does not require that all course lessons and activities be relevant to traditional Native culture. In fact, it would cause challenges if they did, because, as we work within the public school system, my employer recognizes that the primary focus needs to be Anchorage School District curriculum, and that we will supplement with Native curriculum or activities were appropriate. This particular lesson would therefore link to the Anchorage School District unit on Shakespeare and Romeo and Juliet, as opposed to connecting to Native curricular aims.

Finally, I have to say that after having taken this course, and seen what some of my more tech-savvy colleagues are doing, I am reminded of how fast technology moves. I have really been aware of the fact that although I have taken a couple of educator trainings in technology, there is still so much to learn. What I had considered as a potential tool (Powerpoint) I now see is somewhat passe and also already very well known to my students. I believe that part of challenging them and engaging them is getting them to use the newest technology tools, so I see that I too need to be staying on top of the types of resources available to us as educators in enhancing our instruction and class activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment